Thursday 26 May 2011

Reflections on My Second Year of Sewing



Friends, this is the week that, two years ago, I bought my very first sewing machine.  Those of you who've been with me since the beginning know the story; those who don't will find a brief synopsis here.  It's an anniversary I like to acknowledge, taking a moment to reflect on where I've been before moving on. 

First years of anything are bound to be full of excitement -- everything is new, every accomplishment feels huge.  Second years are inevitably less dramatic.  You're still doing many things for the very first time, but many steps are beginning to feel familiar, especially if you're sewing constantly, as I have been, since sewing is the focus of my life right now. 

The last year doesn't break up neatly into quarters as my first year did.  It's more of a single progression, albeit with its inevitable moments of regression.  Shall we take a brief look?

Reflecting on the last twelve months, I see good things and not-so-good things.  A few projects never quite got off the ground (that suit), or fell flat -- or baggy, as the case may be.

This year I decided to leave the drop-crotch pants to others who know how to pull them off.  I think it helps to be a hunky Australian.



This year I have occasionally been accused of stunt sewing.  I won't lie: I'm a showman at heart.  Remember The Ugliest Pattern Ever?





Then there was last fall's BurdaStyle Westminster Fabrics competition tunic dress.  Guess who won the popular vote on BurdaStyle?  Sadly, this was never acknowledged by the sponsor, perhaps uncomfortable with something about my creation.  I've put it behind me.



Then there are those leopard-print velvet pants, still unworn, alas.  I've learned I'm not really a leopard person; I'm shy.



I'm proudest of my wool toggle coat -- but I love my new seersucker pajamas too!



 

Cathy certainly came into her own this last year, with a little help from Maybelline.  Hello, Fresh Face!

 





We've had sew-alongs, and and serge-alongs, and let's not forget the Ken-alongs...





The Male Pattern Boldness chug-along continues too.  Many people think it's hard to blog every day but after a while it's just another morning routine.  A cup of coffee to get things moving and then hope something comes out -- and it does!  Light a match and it's on with the day.

There is still so much to do, though honestly, I couldn't even tell you what I'll be doing tomorrow.  Not buying a new sewing machine, that's for sure...or pretty sure.



And so, my friends, please join me in welcoming Year Three of my (our) sewing adventure.  I hope you'll hang around for the next act as well as the post-curtain Ask the Cast.



Have a great day, everybody -- and thanks for being there!

No comments:

Post a Comment