Thursday 21 April 2011

Decisions, decisions...


File under, Must Sew and Soon.

Good morning, friends!  First, let me assure you that the view from the wrong side of 49 is much the same as the right side, just blurrier and shorter.  But the less said about that the better.  We have decisions to make.

Do you ever walk out of the fabric store with bundles under your arm, wondering, What did I just buy and why?  I looked at a lot of lace and taffeta yesterday at my rock-bottom fabric dive, but nothing seemed to go with anything else.  Finally, I just closed my eyes, ran my fingers over the bolts, and picked whatever they struck first.  Here's my take:



Let's call these two colors steel and burgundy.  They're both heavy acetate taffeta and subtly iridescent, on 60" bolts and $2/yd.  As far as I can tell they're the same stuff for sale here.   I know I just made a taffeta dress, but what can I say?  I like taffeta and want another shot at it now that I know it better.  This time I won't put water in the iron.

Here are the new colors next to the green I used last week, to give you a better idea:



Christmas wrapping paper, right?  What I like is that with black thread in the weave the taffeta has a rich velvety luster, especially the burgundy.

So I was thinking of making a simple, somewhat monastic dress with one of these two patterns in my collection:



Despite its ugly envelope, this Advance pattern is versatile.  I'd put a zipper in the back and cut the front as one piece, maybe extend and/or lower that bateau neckline a bit.  I love the kimono sleeves. 

The alternative is this, which I bought last month on Etsy.  Its virtues include an interesting neckline and construction (the front bodice and skirt panel are all one piece). 



It makes me think of this New Look silhouette.


As well as this vintage gem I found, perusing Etsy.


I also poked around in my fabric stash and found this oyster cotton sateen I bought last year and never used.   I have at least 4 yards from a 60" bolt.


Here it is with black lace overlay.



Doesn't it remind you of this dress, which I posted yesterday?


Picture it with matching bolero or something in taffeta perhaps.

Friends, if you're confused, imagine how I must feel?  Not wanting to disorient you further, I think I'll sign off now and pour myself some more coffee.  You may be needing some too.

Readers, I hope you have a pleasant day in store -- if not in your real life, than in your fantasy one.


Have a great day, everybody, and easy on the taffeta!

No comments:

Post a Comment